As we continue the celebration of International Women Day (#IWD2021) throughout this week, I believe it is so important for us to remember to #choosetochallenge the norms to build great businesses for our families (i.e our grandmother, our mothers, our girls); as well as contribute to the economy and build our communities in our neck of the woods. Let us build back a better Canada. Let us build back our communities during pandemic times and give hope for the future.
I believe it is important to explore the lens of female entrepreneurs who share with us their stories and deep dives into their business journeys. Last year, I had the pleasure of interviewing Sherry Law, CEO of Innerva Virtual Inc. from Fredericton, New Brunswick. We talked about how she started her business, the impact of her mentors on her life who encouraged her to follow her curiosity. She shared about the importance of having a variety of mentors in our lives and the importance for finding knowledge keepers who will share with you their expertise because of their inherent generous nature. Not only that, we talked about the importance of self-care and staying connected in current times. Sherry shared with us some cool tips last year which are still relevant today.
Two questions from our discussion which has some great golden nuggets on mentorship and self-care are:-
Question: What advice do you have for young people, women and entrepreneurs on mentorship?
- It is important to always be listening;
- Do not be afraid to ask for help instead focus on being a knowledge seeker;
- Identify your experts and your champions who will be able to help you in all different areas and fields;
- Establish those relationships early even if you cannot use the knowledge today in your business, you can tap into this expertise later; and
- Most importantly, be a mentor to the entrepreneurs coming up behind you.
Question: What advice do you have for companies and people to stay connected?
- Stay grounded and pace yourself;
- Keep your friends close, people who will uplift you and keep your mind on task;
- Make sure you spend the time to recharge and practice self-care;
- Do not hesitate to that take extra time to relax and decompress if you need it; and
- Use technology to your best advantage to stay connected through phone and video calls.
Take a listen to the full audio here:
The Canadian Side Hustle Business Podcast with Producer and Host Irenia Roussel, was designed for you to give you the inspiration and tactical advice you need to succeed in business. There will be no sugar coating on the hard steps. You will need to hear this to help you stay in the long game. Believe me when I say : “you need to have staying power to be successful in business today.”
Every week, we will bring you some key tactical business insights to help you grow and scale your Canadian Side Hustle Business. Feel free to send in a direct message with your feedback or leave a voice message on our anchor channel. Your feedback is important to us because this is how we can make this even more relevant as we build this platform for you!