As we continue the celebration of International Women Day (#IWD2021) throughout this week, I believe it is so important for us to remember to #choosetochallenge the norms to build great businesses for our families (i.e our grandmother, our mothers, our girls); as well as contribute to the economy and build our communities in our neck of the woods. Let us build back a better Canada. Let us build back our communities during pandemic times and give hope for the future. I believe it is important to explore the lens of female entrepreneurs who share with us their stories and deep dive into their business journeys. Last year a few short weeks after the Covid-19 pandemic hit, as I journeyed virtually across Canada to Toronto, I was delighted to connect with Renée Lindo on Linkedin, a dynamic new entrepreneur who was in the middle of launching her business called “Let’s Get Dressed Now”.
Renée is quite a facinating leader who made a huge pivot from the Pharmaceutical industry to start her an online boutique and personal styling service company. She is on a mission to serve professional women who want to authentically communicate who they are through their polished and sophisticated personal style. She helps women to elevate their personal brand with style. She believes that, when who you are on the inside, is in alignment with the image you project, you can stand in your powerful authenticity. Given her successful track record in the pharmaceutical industry she has a deep understanding to guide professional women to leverage their personal style for success.
We had a very fascinating discussion about style, negotiation and first impressions which was so powerful. Renée shared some really good advice for women who are just entering the corporate world however these tips applies to all women who resonates with this message.
Below are two questions which I pulled out of this episode because of the golden gems she dropped.
Question: How have mentors impacted the trajectory of your life?
Response: My mentor drove me hard. He always saw something more in me and stretched me so that I could deliver my best. He took a chance on me. Its so important to have mentors on your journey to make you be better at what you do.
Question: What advice do you have for young women who are in their job search right now?
Response: Ten golden nuggets:-
- Be clear on who you are as a person and how do you want to present yourself to the world;
- Know your value;
- Your power is being able to use what is unique and special about you;
- Stand out and be very confident in your differences;
- Be authentic to you and know who you are;
- Before you can dazzle people with you wits, make sure how you communicate and make sure that your look is in alignment with who you are the value that you bring to the table.
- Think about what kind of words describe you? How do you want people to receive you when you get dress for your interview? How do you want to introduce yourself to the world? How are you walking into the interview room?
- How you present yourself allows people to make the right first impression about you;
- Dress well to convey confidence from the get-go when you enter any room; and
- Be able to advocate for yourself.
This was such a deep conversation with Renée, I hope that you take what resonates with you and apply it along your career journey as needed. The Canadian Side Hustle Business Podcast with Producer and Host Irenia Roussel, was designed for you to give you the inspiration and tactical advice you need to succeed in business and life. There will be no sugar coating on the hard steps. You will need to hear this to help you stay in the long game. Believe me when I say : “you need to have staying power to be successful in business today.”
Every week, we will bring you some key tactical business insights to help you grow and scale your Canadian Side Hustle Business. Feel free to send in a direct message with your feedback or leave a voice message on our anchor channel. Your feedback is important to us because this is how we can make this even more relevant as we build this platform for you!